Terms & Conditions of Hire
NCT RENTALS Pty Ltd
ACN: 623 959 302
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF HIRE
This contract to hire a Vehicle from NCT Rentals Pty Ltd (Rental Contract) consists of two separate documents:
a. the agreement (Rental Agreement) You have signed to hire the Vehicle from Us; and
b. these rental Terms and Conditions (Terms and Conditions).
2. The date of the Rental Contract is the date shown in the Rental Agreement
3. The Rental Contract is governed by the laws of Queensland and You agree that courts in that state have non-exclusive jurisdiction to determine any dispute that arises between You and Us.
4. We may fit a GPS Tracking Device to the Vehicle to enable Us to track the Vehicle when it is out of Our possession. When You sign the Rental Agreement, you are authorising Us to use the GPS Tracking Device to track the Vehicle until it is returned to Us.
5. The Australian Consumer Law applies to the Rental Contract and it provides You with rights that are not excluded, restricted or modified by the Rental Contract and any provision in this contract is subject to the specific protections and guarantees in that and any corresponding Federal, State or Territory legislation.
2. Who may drive the Vehicle?
1. Only You or an Authorised Driver can drive the Vehicle. It is a Major Breach of the Rental Contract if You let anyone who is unauthorised drive the Vehicle. If there is a Major Breach of the Rental Contract there is no cover for You, the Authorised Driver or the unauthorised driver for any Damage or theft of the Vehicle or Third Party Loss.
2. We set a minimum and maximum age limit for those renting Our Vehicles.
Car Licence Vehicles – You and any Authorised Driver must be at least 25 and not over 75 years of age and have no less than 12 months driving experience unless We have agreed to a variation of that restriction before the Start of the Rental and it is shown in the Rental Agreement.
Truck Licence Vehicles – You and any Authorised Driver must be at least 25 and not over 75 years of age and have no less than 12 months driving experience unless We have agreed to a variation of that restriction before the Start of the Rental and it is shown in the Rental Agreement.
3. You and any Authorised Driver must also have a valid licence to drive the class of Vehicle which is issued in an Australian state or territory or an international licence (with a valid International Driving Permit if Your licence is not issued in English) appropriate for the class of the Vehicle and not subject to any restriction or condition. Provisional & Probationary drivers aged 21 years of age or over will be liable for up to $3000 Excess in an at fault accident. Learner drivers are not acceptable and must not drive the Vehicle.
4. The Vehicle must not be driven if Your licence or the licence of any Authorised Driver has been cancelled within 2 years of the date of the Rental Agreement.
3. Prohibited Use
1. The Vehicle must not be driven by You or any Authorised Driver: a. whilst intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol or with a blood alcohol content or level of drugs present in blood, urine or oral fluid that exceeds the limit set by law. b. recklessly or dangerously; or c. whilst the Vehicle is damaged or unsafe.
2. You and any Authorised Driver must not: a. fail or refuse to undergo any breath, blood, urine or oral fluid test or drug impairment assessment b. use the Vehicle: i. for any illegal purpose. ii. to move dangerous, hazardous, in flammable goods or substances that pollute or contaminate, in quantities above that used for domestic purposes iii. to propel or tow another vehicle or a trailer. iv. in connection with the motor trade for experiments, tests, trials or demonstration purposes; or v. in an unsafe or un-roadworthy condition.
3. You and any Authorised Driver must not: a. damage the Vehicle deliberately or recklessly or allow anyone else to do so. b. modify the Vehicle in any way. c. sell, rent, lease or dispose of the Vehicle; or d. register or claim to be entitled to register any interest in the Vehicle under the Personal Property Securities Act 2009.
4. You and any Authorised Driver must not use the Vehicle to carry: a. passengers for hire, fare or reward or for rideshare purposes. b. more than the number of passengers for which the Vehicle is licensed; or c. any load that exceeds the limits for which the Vehicle was designed, constructed, registered or licenced.
5. You and any Authorised Driver must not:
a. use the Vehicle to transport any pets or animals except assistance animals; or
b. smoke in the Vehicle and You must prevent any passenger from doing so. Additional cleaning and deodorising costs must be paid if there is a breach of this clause.
6. You and any Authorised Driver must not use a mobile phone or a GPS unit whilst the Vehicle is in motion. The body of the phone or GPS unit is to be affixed to the Vehicle and the phone or GPS unit is not being held or touched at any time whilst vehicle in operation
4. Prohibited areas of use
1. The Vehicle must never be driven on: a. an Unsealed Road. b. Off Road; or c. above the snow line between 1 May and 31 October.
2. The Vehicle must not be used in any area that is prohibited by Us. Prohibited areas include: a. roads that are prone to flooding or are flooded. b. beaches, streams, rivers, creeks, dams and floodwaters. c. any road where the police or an authority has issued a warning. d. any road that is closed; and e. any road where it would be unsafe to drive the Vehicle.
3. The Vehicle must never be driven or used: a. outside a radius of 500 kilometres from the Rental Location; or b. onto any island that is off mainland Australia, unless We have given Our prior written permission prior to the Start of the Rental and it is noted on the Rental Agreement.
4. At the Start of the Rental and before collecting the Vehicle We require either a signed imprint or preauthorisation of a credit card (debit cards are not acceptable) or alternatively a Security Bond of $300 for Car Licence Vehicles. For our Truck Licence Vehicles, a signed imprint or preauthorisation of a credit card as well as a $500 Security Bond.
5. If a Security Bond is taken, it is fully refundable to You provided that: a. all amounts due to Us under the Rental Contract have been paid, including toll road charges and refuelling costs. b. the Vehicle has been returned to the Rental Location at the date and time set in the Rental Agreement. c. there is no Damage or Third Party Loss. d. the exterior and interior of the Vehicle are clean. e. the Vehicle has a full tank of fuel; and f. there has not been a Major Breach of the Rental Contract, We reserve the right to retain all or part of the Security Bond if there is a breach of any of these conditions.
6. At the Start of the Rental You must also inspect the Vehicle to make sure that any pre-existing damage is noted and shown or noted in the Rental Agreement.
7. You and any Authorised Driver must pay all tolls, speeding and traffic fines and infringements as well as any fines or charges imposed for parking or using the Vehicle or release of the Vehicle if it has been seized by a regulatory authority.
8. You must comply with all mandatory: a. seat belt laws and fines may be imposed by the police on any driver or passenger who does not have a seat belt properly adjusted and fastened; and b. child restraint laws and ensure that for all children under the age of seven years the restraint has been fitted correctly according to the weight and age of the child and that the restraint is properly adjusted and fastened.
9. You and any Authorised Driver must make sure that the Vehicle is locked when not in use or unattended and the keys or remote-control device must be kept in Your possession, or that of any Authorised Driver, at all times and are never left in the ignition when the Vehicle is unattended.
10. You and any Authorised Driver must take reasonable care of the Vehicle by: a. preventing it from being damaged. b. making sure to your best ability that it is protected from the weather. c. maintaining the engine and brake oils and coolant level and tyre pressures. d. using the correct fuel type; and e. making sure it is not overloaded.
11. You must inform Us immediately if: a. a warning light or fault message appears in the instrument area of dash board. b. You see or become aware of low engine or brake oils, or engine coolant levels; or c. the Vehicle develops any fault during the Rental Period. If You fail to notify Us and continue to use the Vehicle You will be responsible for any Damage or Third-Party Loss.
12. You must not let anyone else repair or work on the Vehicle or tow or salvage it without Our prior written authority to do so. We will not be liable for any expense without authorisation
13. Where We have given You Our prior authority to repair the Vehicle You must keep and produce to Us the original tax invoices and receipts for any repairs, towing or salvage and You will be reimbursed only if these expenses have been authorised by Us. Any entitlement to reimbursement is subject to there being no Major Breach of the Rental Contract.
14. You must not leave the Vehicle unattended following an Accident or before the arrival of a tow or salvage operator.
5. Toll charges
1. When using the Vehicle on toll roads, the Vehicle’s number plate will be photographed and a toll charge debited to Our account with the toll road operator.
2. We will debit Your nominated credit card for those toll charges within a reasonable time after We receive the toll road operator’s invoice.
6. Damage Cover
1. Standard Damage Cover is included in the Rental Charges. Subject to these Terms and Conditions, if You or any Authorised Driver has an Accident or if the Vehicle is stolen, We will indemnify You for the theft, any Damage or Third Party Loss but You must pay up to the Damage Excess shown on the Rental Agreement for each Accident or theft unless We agree that: a. You were not at fault; and b. the other party was insured, and their insurance company accepts liability.
2. An additional Damage Excess applies to You or any Additional driver with less than 2 Years Driving Experience.
3. The Damage Excess payable under clauses 7.1 and 7.2 will be required to be paid by You by being charged to Your credit card, Bond retained (or both) or by Cash or Direct Debit:
a. for single vehicle Accidents, after a repairer’s estimate or tax invoice verifying the amount charged for Damage has been sent to You.
b. if the Vehicle has been stolen, after We have made reasonable enquiries and, in Our opinion, it is unlikely the Vehicle will be recovered; and
c. for Accidents in which there is also Third-Party Loss, after: i. a reasonable estimate of the Third-Party Loss has been made; ii. a repairer’s estimate or tax invoice verifying the amount charged for Damage has been obtained; and iii. all documents verifying the Third-Party Loss and Damage have been sent to You, unless You have expressly authorised the charge to Your credit card at an earlier time.
7. Damage Cover Exclusions
1. There is no Damage Cover, and You and any Authorised Driver are liable for: a. Damage or Third-Party Loss arising from: i. a Major Breach of the Rental Contract; or ii. the use of the Vehicle by any driver who is not an Authorised Driver or who is less than 25 or more than 75 years of age for Car Licence Vehicles, or less than 25 or more than 75 years of age for Truck Licence Vehicles; b. Overhead Damage. c. Underbody Damage; and d. Damage caused by immersion of the Vehicle in water. e. Single Vehicle Accident
2. There is also no Damage Cover for: a. any loss, damage or deterioration of any goods or property carried in the Vehicle and You agree to fully indemnify Us for any loss, damage or deterioration of those goods or property unless it arises as a result of Our negligence. b. the full cost of replacing or repairing any accessories supplied by Us including, but not limited to GPS units, lost keys, keyless start and remote-control devices, trolleys and blankets; or c. personal items that are left in or stolen from the Vehicle or for loss or damage to property belonging to or in the custody of: i. You. ii. any relative, friend or associate of Yours ordinarily residing with You or with whom You ordinarily reside. iii. any relative, friend or associate of an Authorised Driver; or iv. Your employees.
8. Rental Period, costs and charges
1. The Rental Agreement shows: a. the Rental Period for which You have hired the Vehicle; and b. the Rental Charges.
2. You must return the Vehicle on the date and by the time shown in the Rental Agreement. If You fail to return the Vehicle, we may terminate the Rental Contract and if the location of the Vehicle is known, recover it by lawful means or if it is unknown, after making reasonable attempts to contact You, report the Vehicle as stolen to the Police.
3. If You return the Vehicle earlier than the date shown in the Rental Agreement the daily rate payable may be adjusted as higher daily rates apply to shorter term rentals.
4. If You return the Vehicle: a. more than one hour after the date and time set for its return in the Rental Agreement, We will charge You $20 per hour up to one full day’s rental and a further full day’s rental at the standard rate for each 24 hour period or part thereof until the Vehicle is returned to Us; or b. at any time outside Our normal business hours, You must pay for the daily Rental Charges and all Damage until the Rental Location next opens for business unless We have agreed to an after business hours drop off and it is shown on the Rental Agreement.
5. If You return the Vehicle with less than a full tank of fuel a refuelling charge of $20 (including GST) plus the cost of the fuel, will apply.
6. A daily limit of 100 kilometres applies unless You have Our prior written approval to have this limit waived or modified and it is noted on the Rental Agreement. For each day You exceed that limit You will incur an additional fee per kilometre, as stated on this Rental Agreement overleaf.
7. At the End of the Rental, You must: a. return the Vehicle: i. in the same condition it was in at the Start of the Rental, fair wear and tear excepted; and ii. with a full tank of fuel. b. pay: i. the balance of the Rental Charges (if any). ii. the Damage Excess if there is Damage or Third-Party Loss as a result of an Accident or the Vehicle is stolen; iii. any costs We incur, including extra cleaning costs under clause 3.5, in reinstating the Vehicle to the same condition it was in at the Start of the Rental, fair wear and tear excluded. iv. for all Damage arising from a Major Breach of the Rental Contract. v. for all Overhead Damage. vi. for all Underbody Damage; and vii. for any Damage caused by the immersion of the Vehicle in water.
8. Any amount payable under the Rental Contract is subject to subsequent verification and adjustment and details of any adjustments will be provided to You as soon as practicable. Amounts owing to Us after the End of the Rental pursuant to clause
9. accrue interest at the rate of 10% per annum commencing 14 days after the End of the Rental.
10. Credit card authority If any amount is due to Us, including the Damage Excess payable under clauses 7.1 and 7.2, or remains unpaid You authorise Us to debit Your credit card with that amount within a reasonable time after the End of the Rental. If a bond is kept, charges will be deducted and if any outstanding monies are due you will be liable for all Collection and/or Legal Fees until monies are paid in full.
11. Default in payment If You default in the payment of any moneys owed to Us under the Rental Contract, You authorise Us to provide information of that default to a credit reporting body and to obtain an up to date consumer credit report on You. Personal information may be used and disclosed by the credit reporting body in accordance with the Privacy Act to create or maintain a credit information file containing information about You, including defaults in excess of 60 days and the debt owed to Us.
9. Accidents or breakdowns
1. If you have a breakdown, please phone our office on 07 55962388 during business hrs or if after hrs please call 0427 336414. A Fee may apply depending on cause of breakdown. If the Vehicle cannot be repaired, We will use Our best endeavours to provide a replacement Vehicle where one is available. 2. Unless a breakdown occurs as a result of Our negligence, We are not responsible for any consequential loss You may suffer. 3. We are also not responsible for: a. Damage as a result of use of the incorrect fuel type. b. a flat battery because the lights or entertainment system have been left on. c. tyre changing on cars, utes or vans. We may assist with moving trucks in metro area only. d. lost keys or remote-control device; or e. keys or remote-control device locked in the Vehicle. Extra charges will apply if any of these services are provided at Your request. 4. Accident reporting a. If You or an Authorised Driver has an Accident or if the Vehicle is stolen You must report the Accident or theft to Us immediately after occurring and fully complete an Accident/Theft report form provided in all vehicles’ gloveboxes. b. If the Vehicle is stolen or if You or an Authorised Driver of the Vehicle has an Accident where: i. any person is injured. ii. the other party has failed to stop or leaves the scene of the Accident without exchanging names and addresses; or iii. the other party appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, You or the Authorised Driver must also report the theft or Accident to the Police.
c. If You or an Authorised Driver has an Accident You and the Authorised Driver must: i. exchange names and addresses and telephone numbers with the other driver. ii. take the registration numbers of all vehicles involved. iii. take as many photos as is reasonable showing: A. the position of the Vehicles before they are moved for towing or salvage. B. the Damage to the Vehicle. C. the damage to any third-party vehicle or property; and D. the general area where the Accident occurred, including any road or traffic signs. iv. obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses. v. not make any admission of fault or promised to pay the other party’s claim or release the other party from any liability. vi. forward all third-party correspondence or court documents to Us within 7 days of receipt; and vii. co-operate with Us in the prosecution of any legal proceedings that We may institute or defence of any legal proceedings which may be instituted against You or Us as a result of an Accident, including attending Our lawyer’s office or any Court hearing. 10. Consequences of a Major Breach of the Rental Contract 1. If You or any Authorised Driver: a. commit a Major Breach of the Rental Contract in a way that causes Damage, theft of the Vehicle or Third-Party Loss; or b. drive the Vehicle in a reckless manner so that a substantial breach of road safety legislation has occurred, You and any Authorised Driver: i. have no Damage Cover. ii. are liable for all Damage, theft of the Vehicle and Third-Party Loss; and iii. are liable for and must pay any additional costs or expenses We incur as a direct consequence. 2. Acting reasonably, We may terminate the Rental Contract and take immediate possession of the Vehicle if a breach of any part of clause 11.1 has occurred. 11. Privacy 1. We are committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles. 2. When We collect Your personal information, We will do so only for the purpose of providing rental services to You. If You choose not to provide this information to Us We may not be able to provide those rental services to You. 3. We take reasonable steps to make sure Your personal information is accurate, up to date and complete and that it is protected from misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. 12. Dispute Resolution 1. If You have a complaint or dispute about Your rental, including the service You received from Us or decisions made about a claim, You may refer Your complaint or dispute to Our Internal Disputes Resolution (IDR) process where Your complaint or dispute will be reviewed by an employee who has the experience, knowledge and authority to conduct a review.
2. The first step is to contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 07-55962388 3. And Our IDR officer will acknowledge receipt of Your complaint or dispute within 14 working days. Provided We have all the necessary information Our IDR officer will review Your complaint or dispute and respond to You with reasons for Our decision within 15 working days or if further investigation is required, within a reasonable time frame that We will endeavour to agree with You. 13. Definitions 1. Accident means an unintended and unforeseen incident, including: a. a collision between the Vehicle and another vehicle or object, including animals and roadside infrastructure. b. rollovers; or c. a weather event, including hail Damage, that results in Damage or Third-Party Loss. Authorised Driver means any driver of the Vehicle who is approved by Us and who is recorded on the Rental Agreement prior to the Start of the Rental. 2. Damage means: a. any loss or damage to the Vehicle including its parts, components and accessories, including the GPS unit, that is not fair wear and tear. b. towing and salvage costs. c. assessing fees. d. claims administration fee; and
e. Loss of Use, and for the removal of doubt, any Damage to the windscreen, headlights, lights or tyres that makes the Vehicle unroadworthy is not fair wear and tear. 3. Damage Excess means the amount, including GST, up to which You must pay Us in the event of an Accident that causes Damage or Third Party Loss or the Vehicle has been stolen. End of the Rental means the date and time shown in the Rental Agreement or the date and time the Vehicle is returned to Us, whichever is the later. GPS Tracking Device means a GPS or other device that is fitted to the Vehicle that has electronic tracking capabilities to determine its location and other data including speed and fuel levels. Loss of Use means Our loss calculated on a daily basis at the daily rate shown in the Rental Agreement because the Vehicle is being repaired or replaced if it is written off as a result of an Accident or it has been stolen. Major Breach means a breach of any of clauses, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, or 5.11, that causes Damage, theft of the Vehicle or Third Party Loss. Off Road means any area that is neither a sealed or unsealed road and includes but is not limited to unformed roads, fire trails, tracks, river and tidal crossings, creek beds, beaches, streams, dams, rivers, flood waters, sand, deserts, rocks, fields and paddocks. 4. Overhead Damage means: a. Damage at or above the level of the top of the front windscreen of the Vehicle; b. Damage to any part of the Pantech or box section of a commercial Vehicle that is used for the carriage of goods or passengers; or c. Third Party Loss, caused by:
i. contact between the part of the Vehicle that is at or above the level of the top of the front windscreen with objects overhanging or obstructing its path. ii. objects being placed on the roof of the Vehicle; or iii. You or any person standing or sitting on the roof of the Vehicle. 5. Rental Charges means the charges payable for renting the Vehicle from Us together with GST and any other taxes or levies which are all fully set out in the Rental Agreement. Rental Location means the location from which the Vehicle is rented, as shown on the Rental Agreement. Rental Period means the period commencing at the time shown in the Rental Agreement and concluding at the End of the Rental. Start of the Rental means the date and time that the rental commences as shown in the Rental Agreement. Third Party Loss means loss or damage to third party property, including other motor vehicles and any claim for third party loss of income. Underbody Damage means any damage to the Vehicle caused by or resulting from contact between the underside of the Vehicle and any part of the roadway or any object or obstruction, including kerbs, gutters, speed or road humps, barriers or wheel stops and does not arise as a result of an impact with another vehicle. Unsealed Road means a road that has been formed and constructed but is not sealed with a hard material such as tar, bitumen or concrete. Vehicle means the Vehicle described in the Rental Agreement and includes its parts, components, tools and accessories, including the GPS unit. We, Us, Our, means NCT Rentals P/L ACN: 623 959 302
You, Your means the person, whether it is an individual, a firm or company or government agency that rents the Vehicle from Us and whose name is shown in the Rental Agreement.